The blog for people who have nothing better to do with their time.

Friday, August 05, 2005

Cricket anyone?

So it looks like the annual cricket infestation has begun in our home. Since this is our 3rd summer in this house, we've really been able to discern a pattern. Cluster flies then ants then mosquitoes then fireflies then mice then crickets then giant spiders then everything's dead. The cricket invasion is the one I worry about the least and I actually find something sort of charming about it. It feels like maybe they're good luck or something ... even if there are 20 of them between the kitchen and living room alone. Hey, 20 times the luck! Jon hates the crickets and encourages the dogs to kill them. I'm not sure what's happened to him since he's moved to Vermont but he's big on killing things now.

Anyway.

We had a cricket, a loud cricket, either in our bedroom or in the hallway just going off last night. I think I got less sleep last night than I did when Walker was first born. It reminded me of our first experience with the crickets when we had enough of them in the house that they could call to each other. One night while we were watching TV we could hear one in the pantry calling to one in the bathroom. Jon muttered, "Jesus, they're calling to each other!" and I replied, "Yeah, guess what they're saying?" and like a complete fool he said "What?" It allowed me to deliver this gem:

Cricket A: "Hey!"

Cricket B: "What?"

A: "Where are you?"

B: "I'm over here!"

A: "Where?"

B: "Over here!"

A: "WHERE'S HERE?"

B: "OVER HERE!"

Heh heh heh. Still funny.

I thought of another one this morning on my drive in:

"Hey!"

"What?"

"Guess what."

"What?"

"THAT'S WHAT!"

Cricket humor. I love it.